Tuesday, June 8, 2004

Reiki, flaky?

I was reading the April 2004 issue of Self magazine in the gym today. I read an article about Spa treatments. The author was mostly making fun of strange, 'trendy' treatments, for example she described one in which hot oil is poured on your third eye (Shirodhara) to balance your prana. However, her description of Reiki was very positive. She describe two experiences, both which left her feeling more calm, relaxed and optimistic. Even though she said that Reiki sounds like flaky woo woo which I guess meant mystical and unscientific, she recommended it. Reading this made me aware of how much I miss going to the Healing Circles and sharing treatments with others. It just hasn't fit into my schedule since my stepson started to live with us full time. However, nothing stops me from practicing at home, giving myself treatments, or doing the exercises and meditations I was taught. Perhaps one reason is that Reiki seems to conflict with my rational, scientific profession. It is a dichotomy in me. I can't explain it but like the author of the article, Reiki has been nothing but positive for me. The calming, centering energy that flows through me when I am giving a treatment is wonderful. I can't explain it and most of my colleagues would say that it cannot work. And yet, it gives people something. I have not seen a miraculous healing. But I know that it has a positive effect. I tend to think that one human offering focused unconditional love to another for 60 minutes can't be anything but positive. I will make an effort to include Reiki in my life more often.

Update:

I gave myself a treatment last night after writing this entry. I didn't even get halfway through when I fell into a deep sleep and awoke refreshed and ready to start the day. I have been having a little trouble sleeping (which for me, a good sleeper, means waking up several times during the night) the last few nights and feeling tired during the day. Not last night, and I feel great this morning.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for turning on the anonymous comments!

this is so interesting to me. i've really wanted to try a reiki treatment and maybe even take a class in it. it's nice to hear someone who's tried and felt the benefits!

oh, and that painting you linked to is just gorgeous!

-kat of kat's paws

Holly Miller said...

kat,
Thanks for the comment. I encourage you to explore Reiki. Since the Universe seems to communicate with you frequently by synchronicities, I am sure an opportunity to experience Reiki will come up soon. :-)

Anonymous said...

I understand that dichotomy so well!! This was an interesting post. Makes me think about pulling out the book on Reiki I bought five years ago and finally paging through it.

Rune -- www.queenofcups.org

Holly Miller said...

Thanks Rune! Maybe you can find a Healing Circle to attend. It's a nice, low key way to experience Reiki. I don't know how much you can really understand from a book, unfortunately.