Saturday, August 6, 2005

Guilty Pleasures

There was a thread on my favorite forum, Childless Stepmoms where everyone posted the things they do that they know they shouldn't because they aren't healthy or waste time or something like that. I thought I would post mine here too.

Just of a few of my indulgences....
  • Watching my favorite TV shows: CSI and Star Trek
  • Reading electronic books, CSI and Star Trek if I need a fix and they aren't on or I want a new story not something I already saw.
  • POPCORN!! Eating it while I watch CSI or Star Trek or reading a book makes it even better.
  • Going to the movies (an excuse to eat popcorn and a real escape from reality for me, even if it isn't a movie I really want to see. Some times I just have to go.)
  • Watching anything on TV, just vegging out with the channel changer in my hand, watching about 4 awful shows/movies at a time, trying to keep all the stories straight and not missing anything important.
  • Going to the library and just browsing around, reading books and magazines, pretending I have all the time in the world
  • Chocolate (interspersed with the popcorn, something salty, then something sweet, repeat)
  • Sitting on my reclining chair in my pajamas, posting/reading CSM like I don't have a deadline in the world
  • Buying books. Going to Amazon or to a physical bookstore and selecting several books that catch my eye without worrying about the price.
  • Catalog browsing. One of my favorite games from childhood was going to a store (now I use a catalog or online store) and pretending I have infinite money. What would I buy? If it is a paper catalog, I circle every purchase with a thick red marker. Sometimes I 'buy' everything on the page. The only things I don't 'buy' are things I just don't like, things I wouldn't take if you gave them to me (except as presents from someone really special). I love doing this with Williams-Sonoma or Pottery Barn catalogs. Ahhh my dream kitchen.
  • Reading beautiful cookbooks
All these things seem to have one thing in common, spending with abandon, whether it is calories (or points since I am doing Weight Watchers), money or time. So I guess my ultimate fantasy is that I have unlimited time, unlimited money, and I can eat as much as I want without gaining excess weight. I imagine it is a pretty popular fantasy. Brings to mind the scene from Groundhog Day where Bill Murray sees the beauty in his 'condition': No accountability for his actions.

No comments: