Monday, August 1, 2005

Morning again

I awake
and the smell of what has happened is in the air
stale beer in bottles upright or fallen or broken
and vinegary hot peppers and onions from the local sub shop
that stays open late
and glass, a plate thrown against a wall
and the sound of alcohol induced sleep
loud with snores and labored exhales

I open the doors and windows to chase
the threats and vulgarity with bird song
to replace the rancid pain drenched air with
cool green freshness
Wearing shoes to protect my feet
I begin to sweep
to make right the wrongs from the night before
To start again again

2 comments:

Dale said...

I'm so glad to see you back again, but this is such an unhappy poem! Resonates, though. Too close to where I lived too long :-)

--love--

Holly Miller said...

Thanks Dale. For some reason I like my unhappy poems best. This poem was written a few weeks ago when a smell triggered a childhood memory.