Thursday, September 9, 2004

Sometimes I hear my voice

I found this Natalie Goldberg quote on Whiskey River.

I write because I kept my mouth shut all my life. I write because I am alone and move through the world alone. No one will know what has passed through me, and even more amazing, I don't know.

- Natalie Goldberg
Writing Down The Bones

I copy it here because it is so true for me. I have always been afraid to speak, afraid of the sound of my own voice. In class, I was terrified to be called on, even though I knew the answer. I would sound stupid. To ask a question (as I knew a good student should (this is in college!) I would screw up my courage for minutes, rehearsing in my head, a nervous wreck the whole time and then still chicken out. When I first started to learn about chakras I had the feeling that my throat chakra was blocked (and still is). Lately, after a lot of personal work, I feel more comfortable speaking. There is still more work to do for me to become casual about speaking to more than one person. I still challenge myself. I am volunteering to teach (med students no less eek!) and as I have said before, I want to take acting lessons. It has always been easier for me to write than to speak. But still, showing what I write to the world, that hasn't been easy either. I think each one helps the other. The more I write here and find some kind of acceptance, the easier it is to speak up during meetings at work. The better conversations with strangers at parties turn out, the more my writing flows from my true heart. As Tori Amos sings:

"sometimes I hear my voice and it's been HERE silent all these years"

3 comments:

Holly Miller said...

Thanks for the recommendations, Nacho. Your comments about weird stuff being in "If You Want To Write" by Brenda Ueland intrigues me. I love weird stuff! I gave a friend a copy of PoemCrazy to a friend. I don't think she liked it. I should have kept it for myself. I think I will get myself a copy.

Anonymous said...

I can relate to this, at least when comes to speaking into microphones. I have a whole storyline in my head about how my voice is really irritating and I get nervous around chanting and singing and all that, even though I really like chanting.

the girl

Gary LaPointe said...

I'm itching for a Tori concert and I keep running into your post and now I can't get her out of my head....