Saturday, August 14, 2004

Morning going

I just spent two hours reading blogs, following links, entangled in this web of humanity and words. Here's a partial roadmap.

Started at Nomen est Numen where she writes an achingly honest question:
What sort of accomplishment is it to run a gauntlet of one's own making? I've managed only to close my eyes against the feast of the world and gnaw myself to the bone. It's hardly a mark of intelligence.
Then I followed a link from the comments to Mole. There I read a post containing this intriguing statement:

If I can't have irregular verbs, I'd rather grunt and point.

and followed the link to its source at Language Hat. Wonderful blog full of challenges and insights, quite a bit over my head most of the time, which I like when I am in the right mood. Usually when I find a new blog I like, I read the very first entry from the archives. I like to see how the blog has evolved of the years (2 in this case). First entry quite as enjoyable as the last. This one seems to be good to the first drop.

5 comments:

Siona said...

Tinne -

It's a fascinating world, isn't it? And filled with such people . . . I'm so grateful for those writers I've met here.

I just wanted to say, though, that I do the same thing when I find a new blog! I suppose I think that first entry will tell me something about why they're here, but in retrospect, I ought not expect so much. Oftentimes people's writers and online selves evolve so thoroughly from Post 1 to Post n: it's like trying to assess from the first steps of a toddler how good a runner she'll be. Still, I definitely do the same.

(And thanks, too, for all your kindness.)

Dale said...

Hat is amazing, isn't he? And he does it day after day, always something new and arresting. So pleased to have been a conduit between you!

Holly Miller said...

Hi Dale,

Thanks for stopping by. Yes, Language Hat is amazing.

Anonymous said...

"Good to the first drop."

I quite like that. I suspect I'll accidentally steal that.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and that was:

elck

from
vernacularbody.typepad.com