Monday, August 9, 2004

Day of rest and renewal

Today has been a day of relaxation and rejuvination for me. I took the day off from work, I wrote emails to friends, I went for a loooonnnnngggg walk to shops and to the library. I treated myself to a nice Japanese lunch of miso soup, green salad and veggie California roll. I didn't take my ipod on my walk and that was very good. Without music to distract me I just thought about things, had conversations in my head, let my mind wander around any ol' place it liked. Very uplifting. I spent some time in the library, browsing books. I took out the first season of Babylon 5 (brain junk food!!). I also browsed the new books and came across Franz Wright's latest volume of poetry, Walking to Martha's Vineyard. I opened it to the first page, read this:








YEAR ONE
I was still standing
on a northern corner


Moonlit winter clouds the color of the desperation of wolves.


Proof
of Your existence? There is nothing
but.



After I read it, I had to look away, my eyes filled with emotion, with the 'rightness' of the poem, the truth. All in 28 words.




cover
Walking to Martha's Vineyard
Winner of the 2004 Pulitzer Prize for Poetry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a lovely poem...and a lovely way to spend a day off!
-kat