Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Minor White

I was in the library tonight perusing recent acquisitions and came across The Zen of Creativity : Cultivating Your Artistic Life by John Daido Loori. I read a passage where the author describes a photography course he took taught by Minor White. The course had many 'non-photography' aspects to it such as early morning dancing and meditation. I was intrigued so I looked for a book of White's work. His black and white images are beautiful and moving. He has a very zen approach to photography.

No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen. -Minor White

Let the subject generate its own photographs. Become a camera. -Minor White



Barn and Clouds, 1955

The Masters of Photography website has more photographs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a photgraph. Beautiful. How's the book so far?

the girl

Holly Miller said...

I only read part of the beginning. I think it is a good book. I want to see if I can pick it up in my library. Unfortunately, I live in a less wealthy district and my library doesn't get the variety of books that the one I was visiting does.

Anonymous said...

Does the library do inter-library loans? That might be a way to access it, if so.