Monday, November 15, 2004

Lower expectations

I have been working on healing myself. Focusing on healing myself. And all the while I have been piling on expectations. Planning what books to read, what exercises to do, what lists of things to write and then do. All in the guise of self healing. Guess what, I don't feel very healed after 1 month of this. Here is an excerpt of something I wrote on the Childless Stepmoms forum.
I was thinking this morning about what I have done, learned and experienced in these weeks free from the day to day demands. I imagined that without the usual household chores, I would have an enormous amount of free time. I would luxuriate in baths each night, go to the gym, write long entries in my blog, crochet an afghan for my sister, read lots of books, mediate each day. Guess how many of those things I have done? Not too many. I am spending more time at work. My drive is much longer to and from work. I am spending time with my friend but I am not living the life I expected. I also expected to lose weight. Maybe I have a little but it has not dropped off as I expected. I did not transform from an overweight unkempt woman to a svelte sex goddess. I have been to the gym exactly 3 times. I have gone for 1 walk (although I now park in a lot farther from work so I end up walking 20 mins a day to and from the car). I have not started training for a triathlon as I expected. I have not started getting up at 5 AM. I am not zipping around with unbounded energy. Now it seems to me that my impossible expectations of life and myself are my main problems.

Mulling this over for a while and something remarkable came to me. Why not just lower my expectations? Why not write to do lists containing 5 items rather than 25 or 50? Why not schedule the 8 hours of sleep that I need instead of condemning my wimpy biology? Why not plan for the goofing off (or socializing depending on your point of view)? Why not write the couple of candy bars a week into the diet and learn to live with it for now? I am tired of feeling like a failure. According to my view of the universe I have been failing for 40 years. I just can't stand to fail anymore and the only way I can see to start succeeding is to lower my standards, ridiculously. Make goals that are laughable (to my overachiever brain). That's my new plan. So what's slated for tonight. Not much. Therapy from 8-9 and then home to relax, maybe a bubble bath, but if not, then not. Anything is ok. It may be hard to believe someone can feel guilty about not getting a bubble bath but if it's on the list and I haven't checked it off... Drive home, go to bed sometime, preferably wearing pajamas and having brushed my teeth (flossing optional, I am being gentle and relaxed). That is one evening's goals I expect to achieve. :)

8 comments:

Dale said...

O yes, I know this well! Way too well.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tinne. I'm back blogging again but not on TypePad... that account needed to go bye-bye. This is where I am now: Volcano Mama.

I know what you mean about getting out of the SuperWoman rut. It's sooo relaxing once you do. Sometimes my to-do list has only two or three entries and one of the entries might be something like "Wash face." lol.

While multi-tasking is a real skill, it's also a killer. I'm finding that I function much better if I do my best to focus on One thing at at time. Of course, life doesn't always allow me to focus, but I do my best cuz that's all I can do.

~ lebarn ~

Anonymous said...

"on One thing at at time."

hmmm... perhaps i should focus on my typing, eh?

~ lebarn ~

Siona said...

Thank you for posting this wonderful reminder, Tinne. It was exactly what I needed to hear. You're providing, I think, a voice of sanity for many people.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful insights. Rather than leave a long note here, I ended up creating a post on www.LuminousHeart.com Finally put it up tonight. (Part of my lowering expectations is to only try to post Mondays and Fridays:)

Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://xemnowno.com/gugr/whag.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://lhfvjefs.com/zcuf/wouc.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://xemnowno.com/gugr/whag.html | http://hygoukmv.com/hhfe/pbte.html