Wednesday, October 6, 2004

Debatable

I watched the debate last night. I hadn't watched the presidential debate last week so I wanted to see this one. We are not tv watchers, we have to disconnect our cable modem and plug the tv in when we want to watch. We don't do it very often. But, I wanted to watch the debate. It seemed... the correct thing to do, to be more involved in the political process. I have to say that what I kept hearing over and over again from both Cheney and Edwards worried me. Over and over Edwards said 'find terrorists and kill them'. Cheney said the same thing in different words. What about trials? What about evidence, what about imprisonment? I have always opposed the death penalty. To me, killing is not the answer. I saw a great bumper sticker in a catalog. "Why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?" What worried me even more is that I knew that to get elected this was the right thing for him to say. The American people (I hate this term, it doesn't include me, I don't know who it includes maybe not you either) are out for blood, it seems we are a scared, even terrified nation and without talk of death and destruction of our so-called enemies, one cannot be trusted and cannot be elected. I am very sad about this.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, are you going to vote for Kerry/Edwards or not? We are very concerned about Bush 'winning' another four years, and hope that you are too. Of course K/E are not our ideal candidates either, and your comment is right, but these are the best choice we can make at this time.
Gwenna

Holly Miller said...

Gwenna, Thanks for your comment. I agree that Bush must not be re-elected and I will be voting for Kerry. It just makes me sad how things are in this country today.

Anonymous said...

I do not have television (you need a satelite dish here) but I did get to watch both presidential debates. (I missed the VPs.) Like you, I had the same feeling that one "should" watch. And the same dismay hearing Kerry talk about "killing" the terrorists, knowing that it was pointedly intended and politically necessary. It seems the term American People refers to the lowest common denominator. I am so happy not to have tv, & to be so little part of the world in these ways. But I'm also sad.

Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://dvhjkxeh.com/tjed/ycfe.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://nqrexwcs.com/xwns/xisg.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://dvhjkxeh.com/tjed/ycfe.html | http://qutqybtu.com/thvf/avgc.html