Monday, August 2, 2004

A little chamber music

Last night we went to a concert that was part of the 2004 Bridgehampton Chamber Music Festival entitled Telemann and the Trout. The first piece that was played was an aria from the "Goldberg Variations". Then two pieces by Telemann, Quartet in D minor and Concerto for F major. The final piece was Schubert's "Trout" Quintet. All the musicians were excellent. We didn't have good seats, at least for seeing but the sound was beautiful. The concert is in a old Presbyterian Church quite appropriate for chamber music, small and intimate. Sitting there listening to the harpsichord in the Bach piece, I almost felt a powdered wig on my head. The real reason we were there, though, was for the pianist in the last piece. Joyce Yang is the daughter of a colleague of mine and an exceptional 17 year old young woman. The way she plays... I am not a gifted enough writer to explain. Anyone who is reading this and has a chance to see and hear her, should not miss the opportunity. We have traveled to NYC and to Albany to see her. We are never disappointed.

2 comments:

Anne-Mieke said...

Bonjour Tinne,
I remember only bad seats when I think back of the times I went to chamber music concerts. I am quite tall (well, not in the Netherlands, where I live, but in America I am) and my knees are always stuck to the seat in front of me.
Yet it's worth the torture. Perhaps the thought is that you appreciate the music more when circumstances are bad: desperately trying to focus on the one other thing that exists for you apart from the pain: the music?

Holly Miller said...

Anne,
Thanks for stopping by. I think that a certain amount of discomfort does make it easier to concentrate on the music or the lecture or whatever you are trying to concentrate on.