Monday, July 12, 2004

Running with Wild Women


Zenchick
's interesting encounter led me to Angel's blog where her July 8th entry talked about the book, Women Who Run with the Wolves:

I know that where I'm headed is full of warrior women. They are creative, forward-thinking, solutions oriented women. They are women who are living succulently, living juicy. They are artists and writers and painters and teachers and best yet, they are believers beyond the dogmatic restrictions that attempts to keep us all in chains. They are women with photos to show of all the places they have fearlessly travelled. They are warrior women, Women Who Run With The Wolves (and if you don't own that book by sister Clarissa Pinkola Estes, phD, do get it). And I know this: we are all getting ready for each other. We are in our separate spaces, feeling this urge in our bones, trying to find our way back to the pack. But we will get there, this I know.

I am reading Women Who Run with the Wolves right now. C. recomended it to me. She is reading it because her sister recomended it to her. After reading it, her sister changed, she was almost reborn. She found love and passion for the first time in her life. Coincidently, I am reading the copy that my sister gave me. Parts are highlighted so I can see the passages that were especially meaningful to her. I am so blessed to know so many vibrant, creative, juicy women through my real life and my online life.

Each woman has potential access to Rio Abajo Rio, this river beneath the river. She arrives there through deep meditation, dance, writing, painting, prayermaking, singing, drumming, active imagination, or any activity which requires an intense altered consciousness.
Excerpted from Women Who Run with the Wolves

Maybe we can add blogging to that list.

I leave you with one of my paintings created as I read Painting from the Source: Awakening the Artist's Soul in Everyone. It was one of the times I connected with my wilder feminine side.


7 comments:

Angel said...

....and so how cool is this, tinne? that you and i are both from long island and....joy, of all joys, are reading the same book....and even more joy, that we were both moved by the same passage. gheez!

it's funny because i haven't even gotten past the introduction and i already feel the change deep within. it's like derek walcott's poem:

the time will come
when, with elation
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror
and each will smile at the other's welcome ...

it's like i'm meeting a whole different part of myself for the first time and i'm loving her company.

cheers!
ANGEL

Angel said...

oh, and i forgot to add....what a beautiful painting!
--angel

Holly Miller said...

Thanks angel! Wow, you are from Long Island. Do you come back home often? Let me know next time you are here. I love the poem. What wonderful bliss it will be to meet ourselves with love, without the judgements and insecurities...

Anonymous said...

great painting tinne! i've been reading that book off and on for ages. i've also read painting from the source and did a workshop with the author a couple years ago.

-kat

Angel said...

hi tinne:

y'know, with gas prices being what they are coupled with the price of tolls, i'm at fifty bucks before i even get on the belt parkway. so, no i don't get home as often as i'd like. but i do plan to be there in the fall for promo. and if you don't already know, the 92nd Street Y has an EXCELLENT literary series. they have all kinds of programs and lectures going on throughout the year at nominal cost. i'd wanted so badly to come up and see alice walker and maxine hong kingston but it conflicted with the children's school schedule so that had to bite the bullet.

any-who, i'll keep in touch. also, have you read the wayne dyer book? what are your thoughts? is it worth buying? email: avshann@yahoo.com

namaste,
angel

Angel said...

yikes, i pressed return to fast.
the derek walcott poem is longer. try to find it on google perhaps. it's really beautiful. i only put a snippet here.

---a.

Holly Miller said...

Kat,

Thanks! The Painting from the Source workshop must have been great! The book decribes some of her workshops. I love the one where the woman got totally frustrated, ripped off her shirt and started painting with her breasts! I would love to try that!