Saturday, July 10, 2004

Cherry Grove

Today we spent most of the day walking around taking pictures Cherry Grove, Fire Island, New York. It is a fun, beautiful, interesting place and a popular spot for gay vacationers. There are no cars (with a very few exceptions) so it is a great place to walk around. Instead of streets, there are boardwalks between the 'city' of cottages. I felt a great energy when I was there, there was a lot of acceptance of others and I felt a genuine friendliness. We often greeted and were greeted in return by people we saw. I mentioned this to my husband but he didn't notice it. It occurred to me that the judgments I often sense from others may not originate from them but from within myself and being in Cherry Grove allowed me to drop my self critical tendency and just enjoy the world around me.

Here is a sampling of what delighted my eye.



Near the pier where the ferry comes in, the rainbow symbolizes acceptance of many diverse lifestyle choices.




This part of Fire Island has lovely beaches. This picture shows walkways through dunes to beach.




People who live here for the summer make interesting garden displays. This is one of the most dramatic ones.



We saw some VERY tame deer there.




I saw this hose and was amazed. How can a hose be so beautiful?

No comments: